Mite infection in horses
Mites in horses, a common problem with mainly draft horses.
What is a mite infection
It causes a lot of irritation both with the horses themselves and the owner. If a mite infection is treated too late then chances are that there are many eggs in the coat of horses. And that is the most important part, the eggs. Because these eggs only hatch when they think that the circumstances are best for hatching. This can be within two weeks, but can even be after months or a year. There are no solutions to get rid of all the mites and the eggs in one time. The biggest mistake horselovers make is thinking that 1 or 2 treatment is sufficient. To get a mite problem under control it is important to understand the behavior of mites. Read below exactly how that is.
Symptome Milbenbefall bei Pferden
The following symptoms may indicate a mite infection in horses:
- Itching, especially on the legs
- Horse stomps with legs
- Horse rubs with legs
- Horse bites his legs
- Scabs and flakes on the legs
- Wounds on the legs
- Thickened legs (in severe infections)
Often we see that these symptoms are first visible on the hind legs with mainly draft horses. Always check the legs for scabs, flakes and wounds when brushing.
In addition, the above symptoms apply not only to a mite infection. There are other possible causes that show one or more of the same symptoms. Itching and stomping can also occur, for example, due to changes in the feed or a bacterial infection.
Do you have the idea that your horse is infected with mite? To be sure, a veterinarian can easily determine if your horse has a mite infection by a microscopic examination.
- More than 95% less problems with ectoparasites
- 100% natural and contains no poison.
- The strength of herbs
- Ordered before 15.00 u, sent the same day!
- 600 g
- Makes animals and environment unattractive for red mites
- 100% natural, does not contain poison
- Eggs can be eaten without having to wait
- If ordered before 16.00 hours, shipped the same day
Risiko Periode Milben und Portabilität
Mites are there all year, but we see a clear peak in the winter months. The winter months are therefore also seen as the risk period for a mite infection. This is because the mites look for the heat in horses. Horses can transfer mites to each other.
In addition, the mites also go into the cleaning stuff, blankets and saddle pads. That is why it is wise to treat all horses in the herd with a mite infection and not just the horse with a mite infection. Because if you only treat the horse with the mite infection, the other horse wil infect the horse again and again.
Usually you can assess yourself whether or not you horse has mites, certainly when you find the white dots (nits) in the coat. If you are unsure, consult your vet to make sure your horse is suffering with a mites problem.
Unfortunately lice and mites in horses are infectious. This means that one horse can transmit lice to other horses. This happens especially in winter.
Lice on the horses occur mainly in the winter. Horses have a thick winter coat which lice like a lot because it’s warm and comfy. If your horse is very itchy during the summer, this can be caused by summer itch (sweet itch) or an allergy to flies
Tips & trics:
- Treat the entire horse, not just the legs.
- Use an internal product such as Finecto + Horse instead of an external product.
- Use a natural product.
- Be consistent and apply a treatment for at least 30 days
- Have a diagnosis by means of a microscopic examination.
- Do not forget the environment of the horse. (eggs are in the blankets, brushes and saddle pads)
- Treat all horses in the area
- Note the sugars in the diet.
- Check the resistance of your horse.
- Waiting too long before starting treatment
- Treating to short (there will still be eggs in the coat)
- Forget to treat the other horses in the same stable
- Forget to clean the blankets, brushes and saddle pads reagular
- Usage of chemical products. Mites can become resistant.
Chemical versus natural treatment
Many products are based on chemical components. Ectoparasites like mite can become resistant to them after a while. So it may be that a treatment with a chemical product after 3 times no longer works. In addition, chemical agents are often external. This has two disadvantages: it is impossible to reach all mites on the horse and sweat / rain dilutes the effect. This is not the case with a natural nutritional supplement. Sweating strengthens the effect.
Horses with lower resistance more susceptible to mites infection
In the autumn the resistance of horses runs at full speed. In addition to the large temperature differences, the moulting process is also started in horses. This can ensure that the resistance (immune system) is lower and your horse is more susceptible to mites. It is therefore important to support the resistance of your horse with the right supplements. A product like Finecto + Horse will also work better when a horse has a healthy resistance. Waste products are therefore better discharged through the skin, which is necessary for a good result with Finecto + Horse.